The Prithvi Theatre is a subsidiary of the Shri Prithviraj Kapoor Memorial Trust & Research Foundation.
The Prithvi Theatre is a completely non-profit entity depending on the patronage of individuals and Corporates committed to the development of the performing and fine arts. Since its inception it is these patrons who have enabled the theatre to grow and expand its activities.
The Trust was set up in 1975 in memory of Prithviraj Kapoor, to achieve the following aims:
- To promote professional theatre, Hindi Theatre primarily, by providing and managing a well-equipped Theatre space at very reasonable costs, with all technical facilities.
- To subsidise and promote aspiring and deserving stage artists, technicians, researchers, etc.
- To host and conduct workshops.
- To provide rehearsal and workshop spaces.
- To create a theatre resource centre and research library (under construction).
- To provide medical and educational assistance to theatre workers and their children.